Monday, April 10, 2006

Mini-breaks

Oy. Vey.
So this weekend was a super cool gong show...my Darling Husband came up from The Americas to attend an interesting wedding (more on that later) in my hometown of Vic-"Just like England-Toria, which in on an Island that is serviced by the wonderful folks at B.C. ferries. I booked a very fancy pants hotel and was excited to show my hometown to my Love.

As the grat Robbie burns once wrote "The best laid plans of mince and men often turn to complete shit", well, perhaps he phrased it slightly differently, but the sentiment is the same. We got up at FIVE in the morning to catch the ferry and with very little drama it took us to the 11am wedding...So, as mentioned, Wedding=more later. We left the reception early to take mein sister back to the ferry terminal so we missed the end of the wedding, which sucked but whatever...On the way back into town, I decided we would drive past the famous "My New House" which Oma had built in the early '90's and hasn't lived in since 2000 (making it neither hers or new) unfortunately, the road that leads back to the highway that takes one into town, was closed. So, we got horribly, entertainingly lost. But, because I am a rock star, we found our way back after a mere one hour delay.
It was around this time that I realized that I had not, in fact, printed out the address or directions to the hotel. And the name wasn't entirely clear in my mind. I knew it had the word "England" in it, and possibly the word "manor" but the rest was a bit dodgdy. So, we sought out to find an internet cafe. Now, when I moved away from Victoria, Al Gore had not yet invented the internet, so I really had no idea where a net cafe might be...so, more driving around...
EVENTUALLY, we found one, that had coffee and books too so we made use of their services and carried on our merry way.
The hotel was fan-fuckin-tasic. Truly charming and our suite had my greatest (bathroom related) joy...A CLAW-FOOT TUB!!! But, the dinner hour was nigh and I had a couple of great restaurants I wanted to take Beloved to...And I couldn't find them. So we drove around more. Eventually, we decided to go to the Keg before we morphed into the Donner family, and got a table quite quickly...I ordered prime rib, excited to taste a new style of steak. Prime rib isn't steak. Prime rib is roast beef. Roast beef isn't steak. Hmph.
We went back to the hotel and yadayadayada I enjoyed my tub, Rich did whatever it is men do while their wives are enjoying their tubs and we retired to bed. Which creaked charmingly as we lay down. Then, it broke.
The. Bed. Broke. The worst part? WE WEREN'T EVEN DOING ANYTHING!!!!
It was now 12:30...The front desk was closed so The Husband talked to some maintence dude who came up and decided to go look for twobfours to put under the bed. Truly brilliant. Then he came back and said perhaps the twobfours was a bad idea after all and we changed rooms. Which was also lovely but didn't have a clawfoot.
The next day, the hotel offered us free food and a free upgrade next time and their most abject apologies and we carried on with our day. Rich wasn't feeling very well and was getting progressively worse as the day wore on. And we lost the restaurant where we were going to have lunch.
I dropped Rich off at the Clipper dock and drove off to catch my ferry home, on which I had a reservation for the 7 pm sailing.
Now, people who have never been to Victoria, the people of the "rock" are largely 100 years old and/or hippies. Meaning, THEY CAN'T DRIVE. Do to the SUCK, I missed the cutoff by FIVE STINKING LOUSY BLOOY BUGGERY MINUTES. And had to wait for the 9 pm. So, I was stuck in a parking lot for 2.5 HOURS.
THEN, because this weekend rocks, the ferry was delayed by an hour. AND THEY CLOSED THE COFFEE SHOP AT THE TERMINAL. So I didn't get hom until 12:30.
Poo. Mini-breaks suck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But what about the wedding?? We were promised details, damn it!!
PS - Miss you, and the rants!

4/11/2006 03:41:00 a.m.  
Blogger shellswick said...

I will post the wedding details later...wanted to tell you in person first

4/11/2006 08:48:00 p.m.  
Blogger AAM said...

TELL ME TOO!!!!

4/12/2006 12:07:00 p.m.  
Blogger Richmond said...

And you've heard about how my mystery illness turned out to be a leg infection. Details are forthcoming at the Klubhaus, when I can stand to do that much typing.

4/13/2006 04:20:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Blog Counter